Sandia Mountains

What to do if you are arrested:

  1. Do not resist the police officers. Resisting arrest is a crime in itself.
  2. Do not answer any questions before talking to an attorney. Call me immediately at 246-9119.
  3. Do not offer any comments about your predicament to the police.
  4. Do not sign any statements.
  5. You may be searched, photographed and fingerprinted. Notice carefully what is done. If any personal property is taken from you, ask for a written receipt.
  6. Immediately following your arrest, the police should advise you of your "miranda" rights: you have the right to remain silent if you choose not to do so, anything you say may be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford one, one will be appointed. If the police fail to advise you of your "miranda" rights, this omission may help your case.
  7. As soon as possible, call me or another attorney. Client/ lawyer confidentially will apply to your discussion. Your lawyer will ask you when, where and why you were arrested. He or she will also ask you who the arresting officer was, whether you were mistreated, and where you were taken. Your lawyer will arrange to meet with you as soon as possible. In most states, statutes provide the right to make a reasonable number of phone calls. Do not discuss the details of your case on the telephone, as you may be overheard. Do not talk about your case with a prosecuting attorney, police officers, cell mates, news reporters, or anyone else. Do not answer any questions until your attorney arrives. Otherwise, any oral or written statement may be used against you at trial as either direct evidence of guilt or to impeach your testimony. Your silence cannot be used against you. Do not participate in any lineup or other physical examination until your lawyer arrives. If the police force you to do so, do not physically resist. If news reporters photograph you, try to remain calm and do not cover up your face. This could imply guilt to some people. Tell your lawyer if the police are planning to move you.